We asked Christie Cookies Corporate Chef Tony Schmidt to give us some tips for holiday baking to pass on to Gourmet News readers. Here’s his list of things to remember while you’re baking those holiday cookies and cakes:
1. Use high-quality ingredients whenever possible such as real butter and real vanilla. You’ll be able to taste the difference in your finished product.
2. Follow the recipe order and instructions. If it states to use softened butter, plan ahead to make sure you have softened butter ready.
3. Don’t overbake. Pay attention to the temps and the recommended bake time with every recipe. Even a minute too long in the oven can compromise the quality of the finished product.
4. Have fun. Yes, you might make a mess with the flour and drop an egg or two. It’s worth it!
5. The holiday season is a great time to get the whole family in the kitchen to prepare something. Baking is a great way to get the kids involved and make them a part of the fun and excitement of food!