To meet consumer demand for bold, adventurous flavors, Emmi Roth USA introduces two new flavored cheese varieties in the Roth® Wisconsin range – Chipotle Havarti and 3 Chile Pepper Gouda (jalapeño, chipotle and habanero).These spicy specialties round out “The Fiery Five,” an assortment of boldly-flavored Roth cheeses, which includes Horseradish Havarti, Jalapeño Havarti and Peppadew® Havarti.
Retail sales data and menu trend analysis indicate that consumers are branching out to explore a host of hot peppers and distinctive flavors in their in- and out-of-home dining experiences. Growth in flavored cheese at retail has exceeded growth in total exact weight cheese for 2012 vs. 2011 (2.3 percent growth for flavored vs. -0.3 percent decline for total) and for the first half of 2013 vs. the same period in 2012 (1.7 percent growth for flavored vs. 0.5 percent for total cheese), with habañero, chipotle and jalapeño posting stronger growth in both 2012 and 2013 than flavored cheese overall (Source: Information Resources, Inc.).
Flavor trends on restaurant menus from Technomic’s Menu Monitor database also indicate consumer interest in bold and distinctive flavors across key categories on the menu, particularly within burgers and sandwiches, where flavors like jalapeño, chili, and chipotle serve to spice up familiar fare. Appetizer items featuring jalapeños have seen a 31 percent increase in the second quarter of 2013 (compared to a year earlier), and entrées with jalapeños show similar growth with a 29 percent increase. Chipotle is also on the rise, particularly in entrées, where items flavored with this smoky pepper have increased 16 percent in the last year (Source: Menu Monitor, Technomic).
“We always strive to provide on-trend cheese solutions for the foodservice trade. As consumers continue to seek out bold flavors, The Roth Fiery Five offer surefire ways to distinguish menus and delight diners with the heat they crave,” said Steve Millard, president and CEO of Emmi Roth USA.
- NEW Chipotle Havarti: Smoky and spicy flavors are perfectly balanced in this bold yet creamy Havarti.
- NEW 3 Chile Pepper Gouda: Chipotle, habanero and jalapeño peppers add south of the border flavor to a timeless standard.
- Horseradish Havarti: Surprising ingredients come to life in this creamy original as chives, horseradish and mustard seeds combine for a kick of flavor.
- Jalapeño Havarti: Fresh Wisconsin milk meets jalapeño peppers to bring the perfect spicy heat to this creamy favorite.
- Peppadew Havarti: Sweet and savory South African Peppadew peppers add a bit of adventure and a touch of heat to this traditional creamy cheese.
The Havarti varieties are available in a nine pound loaf format, while the 3 Chili Pepper Gouda is available in a six pound loaf and 10 pound wheel. Retail cuts will be available in 2014.
For recipe concepts and more information on The Fiery Five, visit www.emmirothfoodservice.com.