Mrs. Green’s Natural Market announced today a series of donations totaling nearly $25,000 to community organizations that promote healthy, sustainable lifestyles. Several Mrs. Green’s locations across the U.S. and Canada committed to donating up to five percent of in-store proceeds from one week this spring in an effort to give back.
Mrs. Green’s, a rapidly expanding subsidiary of Natural Markets Food Group (NMFG), recently opened new locations in three high-profile markets: West Windsor, N.J.; New Canaan, Conn.; and Burlington, ON, Canada. Another store is planned to open in the West Village of Manhattan later this year.
“Mrs. Green’s believes that eating healthy, fresh, natural products is the best way to promote a sustainable lifestyle,” said Sherry Nolan-Schultz, NMFG Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer. “We wanted to give back to the communities that have welcomed us with open arms in a meaningful and positive way. We believe these donations continue our mutually beneficial partnerships – both with our workers, our customers, and our communities.”
The Mrs. Green’s donations include:
- NEW JERSEY: West Windsor donated $10,000 to America’s Grow-A-Row, a non-profit dedicated to providing a positive impact through volunteer efforts of planting, picking, rescuing and delivering fresh produce to underprivileged communities.
- ONTARIO: Burlington donated five percent of in-store proceeds – a total of more than $3,000 – to McMaster Children’s Hospital in nearby Hamilton.
- CONNECTICUT: New Canaan donated almost $4,500 to the New Canaan Nature Center, a non-profit environmental education center and sanctuary that focuses on helping members of the community relate to nature.
- ILLINOIS: Lincoln Park donated five percent of in-store proceeds – over $6,000 – made during the Spring Celebration Week the store hosted from March 27-April 3, 2014 to the Lincoln Public School “Eat What You Grow” Garden Club, which teaches children the benefits of growing and eating your own vegetables.
- Each location used in-store proceeds from their Grand Opening Week celebrations to support their new communities. Both the West Windsor and Burlington locations celebrated their openings during the week of March 28 – April 3, 2014, and the New Canaan location opened the week of April 17, 2014.
“Mrs. Green’s Natural Market has proven that they are completely committed to providing fresh produce to not only their customers, but also those folks across New Jersey who are food insecure, through their recent and extremely generous donation to America’s Grow-a-Row,” said Chip Paillex, President and Founder, America’s Grow-a-Row. “Their contribution will ensure that thousands of pounds of free fruits and vegetables will make it onto the plates of those folks who are suffering from hunger across the state.”
“Always wonderful when new businesses in the community support McMaster Children’s Hospital and the children in our region. We are delighted to be a part of the Mrs. Greens Natural Market’s success,” said Jennifer Laughton, Vice President of Development, McMaster Children’s Hospital Foundation.