Castello® cheese, maker of creatively crafted cheese available at grocery and fine food stores nationwide, will celebrate the art of cheese with its New York City Pop-up Store, open today through July 6 at 462 West Broadway in New York City’s SoHo neighborhood.
Over the next nine weeks, Castello will offer visitors a selection of premium cheeses; interactive tastings; elegant, made-to-order Premium Cheese Layer Cakes for celebrations; mini seminars about entertaining with cheese; experiential evenings centered around cheese; and in-store sculpting demonstrations transforming premium cheese into works of art depicting New York City landmarks. Plus, cheese lovers have the opportunity to win access to an exclusive Castello Pop-up Store grand opening party on May 14 with Chef Michael Symon, James Beard Foundation award-winning chef, restaurateur, television personality and author.
“For more than 120 years, Castello has been the source of the finest creatively crafted cheeses, bringing innovation and tradition to the art of cheese making,” said Susan Burris, Castello Brand Manager. “We pride ourselves in offering traditional regional recipes and our own uniquely crafted cheeses, always made with natural ingredients. This attention to detail comes to life in our Castello New York Pop-up Store, where food lovers can experience the true art of cheese, whether it’s for personal enjoyment, entertaining or life’s many celebrations.”
Win your way to an exclusive epicurean evening
Twenty-five food lovers and one guest will win access to a private party on May 14 to celebrate the store’s grand opening with cheese and wine. Winners will have the chance to meet Symon and will witness the unveiling of a specially commissioned sculpture of the New York City skyline, carved by renowned food artist Jim Victor entirely out of Castello Alps Selection Hirten cheese.
Cheese lovers age 21 and older can enter to win by sharing a photo that shows cheese is a work of art using the hashtag #CastelloArt by May 11 at 11:59 p.m. EDT. Winners will be drawn at random and notified on May 12. Full legal rules are available at facebook.com/castellousa.
Ongoing experiences for cheese lovers
From May 2 through July 6, the public is invited to visit the store, which will offer a wide selection of Castello cheeses for sale, including many available only for a limited time in the United States. In addition, store visitors are invited to participate in the following opportunities and activities:
- Premium Cheese Layer Cakes – Store visitors can see examples of beautiful multilayered Castello Premium Cheese Layer Cakes made from edible cheese wheels and available for order and pickup at the store. The creatively crafted cakes, which resemble elegant, tiered wedding cakes but are made of cheese, feature two, three and four layers of different cheese varieties, embellished with edible flowers, fruits, nuts and more. The cakes will be available May 9 through July 6.
- The Castello Cheesemonger Challenge – Store visitors are invited to participate in the Cheesemonger Challenge at the store May 9 through July 6 to test their knowledge of various types of cheese. Wearing a blindfold, they will sample three different Castello cheese varieties and guess which is which, earning an official “Cheesemonger Challenge” reward certificate. Castello will also host a social “Cheesemonger Challenge” every Tuesday on its Facebook, Twitter and Instagram channels. Fans will be asked to suggest a food and wine pairing for various Castello cheeses for the chance to earn a special reward.
- Cheese Sculptures – Castello has commissioned renowned food artist Jim Victor to create three hand-carved sculptures entirely out of Castello Alps Selection Hirten cheese. Victor will transform the cheese into works of art, including sculptures of the famous New York skyline, Times Square and the Brooklyn Bridge. The first sculpture will be unveiled on May 14, with additional sculptures carved live, in-store June 4-6 and June 18-20.
- Free Cheese Class: Creating the Perfect Cheeseboard – This mini-seminar will cover the art of creating the perfect cheeseboard using Castello cheese and various food and serving items available for purchase in the shop. Attendees will also learn how to select the right accompaniment to enhance the flavor of each kind of cheese. The class will be offered on various dates over the next several weeks.
- Free Cheese Class: Entertaining with Cheese – This mini-seminar will cover the art of entertaining with cheese. Attendees will learn which knives to use, how to cut and serve Castello cheese, when to take cheeses out of the refrigerator, how to store them after a party and more. The class will be offered on various dates over the next several weeks.
- Create Your Own Premium Cheese Layer Cake – Food lovers can enjoy an experiential evening learning how to make their own creatively crafted Premium Cheese Layer Cake featuring Castello cheese. Guests will learn about different styles of Castello cheese and their ideal food pairings. Then, they’ll select their favorite cheeses to create an epicurean layered cheese “cake” featuring edible decor. The class is offered for a fee on various dates and times over the next several weeks.
A store that elevates cheese making to an art: Food lovers who visit the Castello New York Pop-up Store will find a variety of items for purchase that celebrate the art of cheese. Varieties include Castello extraordinarily tangy and distinctive Danish Blue cheeses; buttery, nutty and irresistible Havarti cheeses including Creamy, Aged, Light and gourmet flavors; exceptional Alps Selection cheeses crafted in the Alpine tradition; and super-premium Unika collection handcrafted, uniquely styled artisan cheeses. Many items to elevate the enjoyment of cheese are also offered, including flatbreads, fruit pastes, fig spreads, chutneys, jams and jellies, as well as cheese preparation and serving utensils.
To learn more about Castello cheese, find delicious recipes and more, visit castellocheese.com.